Nine keen walkers on a cloudy day with rain in the air started out from Millersdale Grove Runcorn. The plan was to follow hard paths, so avoiding the muddy fields and canal towpaths.
The walk took us along paths through the Beechwood West Estate, upto the enclosed wood that in a few week’s time would be smelling of wild garlic. We headed down to the main road passing clumps of spring flowers such as crocus and daffodils. On reaching the road we crossed the road and turned left making our way up the path at the back of Hillview School and onto the main road again to Wood Lane passing The Holiday Inn turning left at the junction.
We could see the old railway station which was Runcorn’s in 1851. It was renamed Runcorn Road 1861 then in 1869 was renamed Halton Station. The station closed in 1952 . Carrying on we passed a small garden nursery turning left at A56 towards Sutton Weaver. Making our way along Chester Road turning left down Station Road under the bridge turning left onto the path alongside the Southern Expressway towards Beechwood. Crossing the road at the traffic lights to go along the leafy path alongside the train line to London. The hedges are just starting to come into leaf and as our photo shows the blossoms are also on the trees meaning Spring is on its way.
We wended our way back up and over the bridge towards the Community Centre where we had a lovely lunch and put the world to rights.
A great walk, thanks to Ann for all your research and local knowledge.